Welcome to Southwood Elementary
Home of the Roadrunners, Southwood was opened in September of 1954 with 18 classrooms and recently celebrated its 60th Anniversary. The school was originally situated on 26 acres of land, some of which was sold to the city for the Raytown Parks Department to develop Minor Smith Memorial Park. Southwood was the only Raytown elementary school have a female principal, Louise Twiehaus, when it opened. Southwood was one of 11 schools opened in a 17 year period, where a bond election, which met with great voter support, was held every year.